Jun 15, 2014

HEALTHY EATING FOR THE LAZY

If you're like me, you don't want to spend a lot of time cooking, but you want to eat healthy. I had never been a fan of cooked vegetables till I discovered electric steamers. Every day, I eat a large variety of fruits, seeds and vegetables in no time! And it really isn't bad for those on a budget. You just need to learn how much you will eat and not waste the food. It's all filling. Following are the two devices that changed my life. But first, a list of foods I will consume in one day, with minor variations in the fruits or veggies: 1/4 each apple, pear, cucumber. 1 banana, mix of berries, cinnamon, chia seeds, flax seeds, hemp seeds, carrots, peppers, potato, cabbage leaf or kale, mushrooms, brussels sprouts, tomatoes, broccoli, squash, olive oil, garlic tons of seasonings. Click on the First & Second headers for links to order them, if you like. 

FIRST: THE STEAMER AT A STEAL. JUST $20.00 AT WAL-MART!

As you can see, you can cram a Lot of food in this little gem. I don't eat a lot of meat, so I usually just use 1 tier. The good news is that you can put frozen meat in there (season it up), then add the second tier with veggies later in the cooking process. Be VERY careful with the lid when it's been on. HOT! It cooks perfectly. I usually steam a lot of veggies. And I use Figi water to steam. You don't need much and this eliminates the fluoridated and chlorinated water. Ick. When I set them to steam, I get out a bowl and add my oil of choice. I use Olive, hemp, sesame, coconut...whatever the mood is. Then add all my favorite seasonings. When the veggies are done, I toss them around in the mixture and voila! One of my favorite additions is toasted sesame oil. Just a little. Great flavor. Maybe seasoned bread crumbs if you do bread. Anything really! Parmesan cheese, whatever...I keep the veggies in a covered bowl in the frig as well. Be careful with cut onions as they will absorb the toxins in the frig if left unsealed. I have started using dried minced onion with my veggies. I like the flavor better anyway. I also keep a russet and sweet potato on hand to throw in now and then. Just a sweet potato with butter, maple syrup, cinnamon and nutmeg is wonderful. Be creative and never get bored.

Why is this my favorite juicer? The reasons are many. I tried the standard juicer, but what a waste of food and fiber in what was left behind. So I bought the Nutri Bullet. I was happy with it, but it wasn't as smooth as I would like and I went through 2 of them in a short time. I recently switched to this. It was $89.00 at Wal-Mart and worth every penny. First of all, you blend everything in one cup, take it with you when you go and clean when you're done. This also has the flip top lid, which the other one didn't. Much easier for drinking. And I couldn't Believe how much smoother it was than the bullet! Why? I don't know. I think they are the same speed. So the one problem I had when I first started juicing was the waste of food gone bad. I now know how much I will eat and don't over buy. It needs to be affordable. Here's how I do it. Note that the skins stay on from the fruits, including the cucumber, which is VERY hydrating, by the way. I buy a couple apples (this one is daily because of health benefits) a couple peaches, pears, cucumbers and bunch of bananas. Each day I use a banana as well. Buy a bag of frozen mixed berries. I throw in a handful a day. Cut out a 1/4 of the fruit your using and chop down a little bit from there. I keep them all in a bowl in the frig with saran wrap over it. Some citrus fruit I wrap a napkin around. OH! Lemons, limes and oranges. I cut a sliver of each and squeeze in the juice. I also keep a jar of seeds. It's a mix of hemp, flax and chia. I toss some of those in along with some shredded organic coconut and dash of cinnamon. Honey...whatever you like. Follow juicer directions, add water of course (Figi for me), zap, cap, drink and go! Power packed! And one more thing to do is buy grapes and freeze them. I also cut a pineapple and flash freeze that. Cut in chunks, put pieces on a baking sheet, set in freezer for 30-45 minutes then bag and freeze. You Can save money and be healthy. :) The possibilities are endless. Add yogurt if you like. Just be sure to add water as well.

It seems like a lot of work, but trust me, once you get in a routine, it all happens in under 5 minutes and your off. And there's barely Any clean up!

Here's to good health for a busy lifestyle and a tight budget!

No comments:

Post a Comment